Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Our Amsterdam adventure a.k.a. Matt Damon smoked here!

It's been about 10 days since Mark and I returned from our whirlwind trip to Amsterdam. The vacation was my engagement gift to Mark — I got a ring and he got 5 days in the land of legal drugs and prostitution.

As we were packing to leave we realized that this was our first real vacation together, or as Mark put it: our first trip without mommies and daddies. We weren't going to either parents house, or a family wedding, we were just vacationing together.

Alone.

Just by ourselves.

While that fact didn't bother me one bit, it sure seemed to bother everyone around us. I received a lot of sarcastic wishes of "Good Luck!" before I left town and I got the strange feeling that everyone thought we'd either 1) come back broken up, or 2) we would final "get to know each other" i.e. new, annoying traits would completely ruin our trip. To the contrary, we actually discovered we're rather good traveling companions! And to prove it, I've compiled a short list of "Good" things we discovered about each other while in Europe:


1. We both think french fries and ice cream is an acceptable dinner. And we agree that pancake + pesto = awesome.


2. Mark is rather protective of me. He spent the whole trip with one hand attached to the small of my back so I wouldn't dart into traffic. I felt a little bit like one of those toddlers on a leash but he kept me from being run over by a tram once so maybe I do need a bodyguard.


3. We both find the Dutch version of Ducktales hysterical.


4. Our afternoon napping schedules were in synch the entire vacation. What? Coffee shops can be exhausting!


5. Mark is more afraid of me than of U.S. customs officials. Good to know. This marriage may work out after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment