Thursday, February 26, 2009

Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress

I've been neglectful of my poor little blog recently. I have updates to share but have been rather tardy in posting them. So while photos of my petits four success and the engagement party continue to sit on my desktop at home, I will distract you from my laziness with this book by Susan Jane Gilman.

I'm a fan of both memoirs and short stories so Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress was a fun, easy read for me. Her personal essays reminded me a lot of myself in that both Ms. Gilman and I find humor and absurdity in our typically unremarkable lives. And we both struggle with contemporary feminism— thus her tale of being shocked by herself when she falls in love with a big, pouffy white dress at David's Bridal. That's kind of the stage I'm in right now, too; who knew I would love weddings so much? The rest of her essays range from tales of growing up with wacky parents to adjusting to life abroad. Not just about weddings, it's definitely a book worth picking up if you need a giggle or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment